Moving can be expensive, but the costs of furnishing and decorating your apartment can add up, as well. You want to save money, but you also want your new place to feel like home. If you’re moving out on your own for the first time, you may not realize just how expensive it is to get ahold of everything you’ll need. There are lots of ways to furnish and decorate your home on a budget. Here are some cheap decorating ideas for apartments:
If you’re starting with nothing, buying furniture can seem overwhelming. You have to get furniture for different rooms or areas in your home, including the bedroom, living room, dining room and other areas. Furnishing your first apartment on a budget may seem difficult, but here’s how you can save money by furnishing your first apartment on a budget:
- Only buy essentials first: Buying all of your furniture at once will be a huge expense. Only buy the things that you definitely need at first. There may be furniture that you want but can live without for a little while. You could keep books in their boxes until you get a bookshelf. Use storage bins as a table until you buy a nightstand for your bedroom. As you save up money, you can slowly add more furniture to your home.
- You don’t have to shop at a furniture store: A great way to save money is to look for secondhand furniture. Check out flea markets, garage sales, rummage sales and thrift stores. You may find some really great pieces for a lot less than if you shopped at a furniture store.
- Don’t sacrifice quality for the price: It may be tempting to buy the cheapest items, but this isn’t smart in the long run. Usually, cheaper means lower quality. That $50 TV stand may seem like a great bargain, but if it breaks after six months you’ll have to buy a new one. If you spend a little more, you’ll have those items for much longer.
Once you have your furniture, it’s time to decorate. Your apartment’s decor doesn’t have to be over-the-top. Even adding a few things in the different spaces of your home will make it feel like it’s yours. Here are some DIY apartment decorating tips and cheap decorating ideas for apartment dwellers:
- Find low-cost home decor: There are lots of stores that sell inexpensive home decor. Big box stores carry colorful containers for storage and organization that can add a pop of color and pattern to your space. There are also stores that sell items from bigger stores when they can’t sell out on something. Look for a store like Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshall’s for good deals.
- Do it yourself: DIY apartment decorating is a cheap and also fun way to personalize your home. Buy a cheap canvas and paint a stencil on it. Print photos and buy cheap frames. Find a great deal on curtain panels and hang them on the wall as an accent. There are lots of ways for you to create unique decorations for your home.
- Buy plants: Plants are perfect for adding more color to your home. Many houseplants and pots are very inexpensive. If you don’t have a green thumb, you can always buy fake ones.
Find Your Perfect Apartment With Triple Crown Corporation