a close up of a pink background with a striped pattern

How to Identify Mold in Your House

Mold isn’t just something unsightly. It’s a dangerous formation that indicates the presence of excess moisture in your home.

How to Identify Mold in Your House
Where Mold Is Seen
Mold can be found anywhere throughout a home, although it’s usually in a place where water is abundant. For this reason, mold is typically found in:

  • In the kitchen, especially under the sink or in the walls behind the sink or dishwasher. It may also be in the refrigerator’s water supply hose.
  • In the bathroom. Mold spores feed in dampness, and bathrooms become and stay damp for hours, even with exhaust fans. Look for mold in, under and around the sink as well as near the shower or bathtub. Be sure to check the ceiling for mold as a result of steam.
  • In the basement. Basements are a prime location for mold, especially in dark corners where water seeps through the walls during rainstorms.

Mold Identification Tips
As a renter or owner, you should always be on the lookout for any signs of mold. If you’ve never seen mold up close and personal, be assured that it’s fairly easy to spot.

Typically, mold spores form white, black or green spots or even fuzzy sections on walls, floors, ceilings or even furniture. Along with the sight of mold, you can usually tell by its distinctively musty, damp and offensive odor.

Do not touch the mold, but do make sure you take pictures of it to show your landlord, property management company and/or renters’ insurance adjuster.

What to Do About Mold
In general, if you think it’s mold, it’s worth taking the next step, which is alerting the owner of your property and airing out the area. Leave your home if you feel it’s unsafe for you to be on the property, particularly if you have mold allergies or asthma. The visible mold often means more mold is just out of sight, and it’s up to the property owner to rectify the problem quickly and decisively.

Remember that mold removal isn’t a DIY experience. Although it’s a common occurrence, it should be dealt with by professionals. Otherwise, it can cause a serious problem that may lead to the possibility of short-term or even chronic illnesses.