While we get to enjoy summer sun and the heat that comes with it, for our four-legged friends, this time of the year can be especially difficult. As a pet owner, there are some ways that you can try to make the summer a little easier for your furry friends. Here are a few ideas for keeping your pets cool this year:
1) Go for a swim – Whether you have a swimming pool or even just an inflatable kiddie pool, let your pet splash around in the cool water if they need to be outside during the hottest parts of the day.
2) Fans – Ice can constrict blood vessels if used to rapidly bring down a pet’s temperature so instead, try placing fans to circulate air around the areas where your pet usually sleeps or relaxes.
3) Change your walking time – Dogs still need to be active during the summer but try to plan your outdoor activities to coincide with the coolest times of the day. Early morning or evening walks can be more pleasant for both you and your pet!
4) Hydrate – Pets can get overheated and dehydrated quickly, especially during the summer. Make sure that you’re monitoring their water intake regularly and continually freshening and refilling their bowls throughout the day. If you need to be away from the house for a significant amount of time, leave several full bowls of cold water around their regular bowl in case they run out.
5) Give them some shade – A cool spot under a tree is often the perfect outdoor nap area for your pets as shaded grass is often cooler to sleep on than floors indoors, particularly if you have carpet. Just be sure to watch for the moving sun throughout the day to ensure that they remain in the shade as much as possible. If they need to be inside, keep at least one room of the house shaded and dark to give them some relief from the heat.