Holidays are always a great time to catch up with family and friends and July 4th is no exception. Take advantage of summer weather and host a patriotic cookout this year!
- Decorations – Set the mood for your cookout with red, white and blue utensils and dishes. Stick to using plastic to keep the dish-washing to a minimum. Go all out with hanging lights and a festive tablecloth for any buffet tables that you set up!
- Food – Summer cookouts are great for catering for a large group and July 4th is perfect to go for all-American classics such as burgers, hot dogs, ribs and corn! Make sure you also have plenty of sides that can be bought and prepared in bulk. Salads and chips and dip are light enough to accompany everything from the grill. If you want to go for non-traditional food, then Italian sausage, kebabs, and fish are all great to cook on a grill. Don’t forget to include a vegetarian option for any friends who don’t eat meat!
- Drinks – Keep drinks light and refreshing, especially if it’s a hot day. Homemade punch, iced tea, lemonade and fruit juices, as well as plenty of water, are great to have on hand.
- Keep Kids Happy – Food from the grill should keep them satisfied, but if you plan to make a complex dessert, stock up on ice cream for the little ones!
- Entertainment – An upbeat playlist and yard games are great for keeping your party casual and fun. Don’t forget to supply sparklers if you plan on staying in rather than going to see the fireworks, but make sure that children are supervised by a responsible adult. If you can see local fireworks from your backyard, finish the evening by putting out a large picnic blanket for everyone to relax on and watch the display.